GREELEY, COLO. — Pilgrim’s Pride Corp., a subsidiary of JBS S.A., released its 2021 Sustainability Report that shows the company’s progress toward its 2030 goals announced last year. The goals center around three key areas: environment, social and governance.
“At Pilgrim’s, we recognize our role as a global food company and a large employer in the areas where we operate,” said Fabio Sandri, Pilgrim’s chief executive officer. “We are working to leverage our scale and influence to help food and agriculture be part of the solution to many of the sustainability challenges we face around the world.”
Pilgrim’s highlighted the following achievements detailed in the report:
- Expanded our Better Futures program throughout the United States, which provides tuition-free community college to our team members and their dependents – with more than 370 participants signed up and two graduates to date
- Achieved a 39% improvement in the Global Safety Index since 2019, surpassing our 30% goal
- Reduced scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emission intensity by 10% from our 2019 baseline
- Invested more than $18.7 million in 64+ greenhouse gas emission reduction projects in Pilgrim’s facilities
- Launched our global Animal Welfare Scorecard, created by Pilgrim’s animal welfare teams using a combination of indicators selected for their importance to the health and welfare of our animals
- Completed over 100 infrastructure and social services projects across the United States through our $15 million Pilgrim’s Hometown Strong initiative
- Partnered with more than 6,000 livestock and poultry producer partners, providing payments of more than $2.2 billion
Out of the 13 goals set for 2030, two have already been completed, and the rest, excluding water reduction, are on track.
“We are investing in sustainability and ESG initiatives throughout our organization like never before, and I am confident we will continue pushing ourselves and the industry forward in a meaningful way,” Sandri said. “Our vision – to be the best and most respected company in our industry, creating the opportunity of a better future for our team members – will continue guiding us as we move forward on this journey.”