WASHINGTON – Total red meat and poultry supplies in freezers were higher in February compared to January and higher compared to a year ago, according to the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service.
Total red meat supplies in freezers on Feb. 28, 2013 gained 3 percent from both the previous month and last year, NASS reported. Total pounds of beef in freezers climbed 1 percent from the previous month and up 4 percent from 2012. Frozen pork supplies were up 5 percent compared to February and up 2 percent from last year. Stocks of pork bellies increased 17 percent from last month but dropped 31 percent from last year, according to NASS.
Total frozen poultry supplies on Feb. 28, 2013 advanced 2 percent from the previous month and up 9 percent from a year ago. Total stocks of chicken eased 3 percent from the previous month but gained 6 percent from last year. Total pounds of turkey in freezers climbed 11 percent from last month and gained 14 percent from Feb. 29, 2012, NASS reported.
|Enhance your industry IQ
Sign up for our free newsletters to stay informed on each day’s news and trends