WASHINGTON – Pork production was at a record high for May, totaling 1.93 billion lbs. in May, up 9 percent from the same period in 2011, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), US Department of Agriculture.
Overall, US commercial red meat production advanced 7 percent in May to 4.18 billion lbs. from 3.91 billion lbs. in 2011, NASS said. From January to May 2012, commercial red meat production in the US increased 1 percent to 20.2 billion lbs. Accumulated beef production declined 1 percent form 2011. Veal production in the period declined 6 percent, pork increased 4 percent and lamb and mutton production advanced 3 percent.
Beef production increased 5 percent to 2.23 billion lbs. Cattle slaughter totaled 2.88 million head, up 2 percent from the comparable year-ago period, according to NASS. The average live weight rose to 295 lbs., an increase of 7 percent from 2011.
Veal production totaled 10.4 million lbs., up 1 percent above May 2011. Calf slaughter climbed 9 percent to 9.28 million head. The average live weight increased 2 lbs. from 2011 to 277 lbs.
Lamb and mutton production was up 5 percent to 13.6 million lbs. Sheep slaughter totaled 180,400 head, a slight increase above May 2011 totals. The average live weight was 151 lbs., and increase of 8 percent.
|Enhance your industry IQ
Sign up for our free newsletters to stay informed on each day’s news and trends