“Our Dakota City, Neb., beef plant is operating normally today after an incident Sunday night involving an overheated tank of beef tallow,” Tyson spokesman Gary Mickelson told MEATPOULTRY.com. “The local fire department was called about 10:30 p.m. Sunday after smoke was noticed in the by-product rendering part of the plant. It was subsequently determined the smoke was confined to a tank of inedible beef tallow. Measures were taken to remove tallow from the tank to cool it down and eliminate the smoke.
“The plant was not in production at the time of the incident and only a small number of maintenance workers were on the job,” he concluded.