CARLYLE, Ill. – The Maschhoffs LLC took steps to address animal welfare concerns at one of the company’s sow farms in Nebraska.
The action came following the release of an undercover video showing animal welfare abuses. Hormel Foods, which is among The Maschhoffs’ customers, suspended the pork supplier pending an investigation into claims of animal cruelty at the facility.
Specifically, the company:
- terminated the farm manager at the sow farm in the video;
- launched a series of independent audits at its Nebraska sow farms to ensure all animal care standards are being met;
- implemented extensive re-training on proper animal care and handling practices across the company’s entire farm network, with specific focus on the Nebraska area;
- engaged an intense, internal communications effort to ensure all employees fully understand their obligations to adhere to as well as report any instances of animal abuse and neglect; and
- conducted exhaustive review of the video and its animal welfare records from the facility to identify issues and critical improvements.
“As animal caregivers with a long-standing history of excellent animal welfare, we are appalled by the level of animal care depicted in the video at this sow farm,” Bradley Wolter, president, said in a statement. “We are aggressively implementing improvements that will help to ensure excellent animal care every day and on every farm, and prove our ongoing commitment to the responsible and humane care of our animals.”