The plant had completely redone the rendering operation area and welders were cutting away older equipment when the fire started.
“The fire started when some grease build-up in piping caught on fire,” Cargill spokesman Mike Martin told MEATPOULTRY.com. “The plant management actually met with the fire chief a few months ago to outline the project and make certain a contingency plan would be in place for just this type of incident. There were no injuries and the fire department responded quickly. Randy Zorn's [plant manager] team does a great job with relationships in the community. There was minor damage and no shutdowns.”