WASHINGTON – During October, US poultry certified wholesome (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.67 billion lbs., down 2 percent from the amount certified in October 2010, according to the US Department of Agriculture. The September revised certified total at 3.71 billion lbs., was down 1 percent from September 2010.
The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during October 2011 was 4.86 billion lbs., down 3 percent from 4.99 billion lbs. a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.12 billion lbs., down 3 percent from October 2010. Totaling 68.6 million lbs., mature chickens were up 6 percent from the previous year.
Turkey inspections totaled 659 million lbs., up slightly from a year ago. Ducks totaled 14.0 million lbs., up 4 percent from last year.
During October, young chickens slaughtered averaged 5.88 lbs. per bird, up slightly from October 2010. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.72 lbs. per bird, down 3 percent from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during October 2011 averaged 28.3 lbs. per bird, down slightly from October 2010.
Ante-mortem condemnations during October totaled 9.48 million lbs. Condemnations were 0.20 percent of the live weight inspected, compared to 0.21 percent a year earlier. Post-mortem condemnations, at 32.1 million lbs., were 0.87 percent of quantities inspected, as compared with 0.92 percent one year earlier.
|Enhance your industry IQ
Sign up for our free newsletters to stay informed on each day’s news and trends