SELINSGROVE, PA. — On July 15 around 8 p.m., the Hummels Wharf Fire-Rescue responded to an ammonia leak at a National Beef Packing Co. facility near Selinsgrove, Pa.

According to the fire department, the incident was originally reported as “Inside HazMat.” 

The officials said the leak was due to a valve failure while the facility was transporting anhydrous ammonia, used for refrigeration, from on-site tanks to trailers. 

The anhydrous ammonia spread throughout the facility and the area surrounding it, exposing 46 staff and contractors to it and causing the incident to upgrade to a “Mass Casualty Incident.”

One person was hospitalized.

While the leak was originally estimated to be 3,000 lbs, it was later determined to be 1,800 lbs.

"The safety of our employees and the Selinsgrove/Monroe Township community continues to be our top priorities," said Marcy Johnson, National Beef director of corporate communications. "We are grateful for the immediate response of the emergency officials from Snyder County Emergency Management, Hummels Wharf Volunteer Fire Department and the Susquehanna Emergency Response and their support of our people."