WASHINGTON – The US Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced a previously issued public health alert has been expanded to include ready-to-eat (RTE) products sold by Amana Meat Shop and Smokehouse, based in Amana, Iowa, which are suspected of being contaminated by Salmonella Newport. According to the FSIS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the US Food and Drug Administration are investigating a multi-state outbreak of Salmonella infections related to onions produced by Thomson International Inc., Bakersfield, Calif.
The initial alert, issued on Aug. 5, 2020, was for FDA-regulated onions recalled by Thomson, which were used in RTE meat and poultry products manufactured by Taylor Farms on July 30 and 31, 2020, labeled with establishment number P-34733 or 34733 inside the USDA mark of inspection. The suspected products in the initial alert were shipped to retail locations in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas. They included:
- 7.25-oz plastic sealed container labeled as “Sausage Breakfast Scramble Bowl” with lot code TFD212AU8 and TFD213AU8 and with a best if used by 08/06/2020 or 08/07/2020.
- 6.2-oz plastic sealed container labeled as “Taylor Farms Cheddar Cheese & Chicken Salad Snack Tray” with use by date 08/06/20 or 08/07/20 and lot code TFD212AU7 and TFD213AU7.
- 41.35-oz plastic bags containing “Chicken Salad” with use by date 08/04/20 or 08/05/20 and lot codes TFD212AU8 and TFD213AU8.
- 10-oz plastic sealed container labeled as “Chicken Salad Deli Snack” with lot codes TFD212AU3 and TFD213AU3 with best by dates 08/06/2020 or 08/07/2020.
- 7.75-oz plastic sealed container labeled as “H.E.B. Shake Rattle Bowl SOUTHWEST SALAD with CHICKEN” and a best if used by date of “Aug 10/2020 and lot code TFD213AU20.
- 17.25-oz plastic sealed container labeled as “Marketside SOUTHWEST STYLE SALAD WITH CHICKEN” with a best if used by date of 08/11/20 or 08/12/2020 and lot codes TFD212AU26 or TFD213AU26.
The secondary health alert, issued on Aug. 6, 2020, included RTE products produced by Amana Meat Shop and Smokehouse on May 14, 2020; June 2, 18, and 29, 2020, and July 2, 9, 21, 2020. The products are labeled with the establishment number EST. 2357 inside the USDA mark of inspection and were shipped by mail order and to retailers in California, Illinois, Iowa, and South Carolina. The products include:
- 1.25-lb quart jar containing “AMANA MEAT SHOP AND SMOKEHOUSE HAM WATER ADDED IN VINEGAR PICKLE” and lot codes E2620, F0320, F3720, F5420, G0620, G1720 and G3920.