FRANKLIN, Tenn. – CKE Restaurants Holdings Inc., the parent company of Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s, is expanding its partnership with plant-based meat processor Beyond Meat. The quick-service chain is adding new plant-based options to its breakfast, lunch and dinner menus.
“Since its debut less than a year ago, Carl’s Jr. has sold more than 6.7 million Beyond Famous Star burgers to-date, making it the most successful product launch in the past two years. We’re continuing to build on this success by expanding our Beyond Meat partnership to Hardee’s,” said Patty Trevino, senior vice president of brand marketing at CKE. “As we head into 2020, the addition of these new options at both restaurants is one of the many ways we’re continuing to deliver the innovation and quality Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s are known for while appealing to new audiences including flexitarians, Gen Z and millennials.“
The new menu items include, from Carl’s Jr.:
- Beyond Sausage Burrito: 100 percent plant-based Beyond Breakfast Sausage patty, scrambled egg, shredded cheese, Hash Rounds, tomatoes, and fresh salsa, served in a soft, warm tortilla;
- Beyond Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuit: 100 percent plant-based Beyond Breakfast Sausage patty topped with a slice of American cheese, and a fluffy folded egg, served on a freshly baked biscuit.
- Beyond Sausage Burrito: 100 percent plant-based Beyond Breakfast Sausage patty, fluffy folded eggs, shredded cheddar cheese and Hash Rounds served in a soft, warm tortilla;
- Beyond Sausage Biscuit: 100 percent plant-based Beyond Breakfast Sausage patty served on a freshly baked biscuit;
- Beyond Sausage & Egg Biscuit: 100 percent plant-based Beyond Breakfast Sausage patty and a fluffy folded egg served on a freshly baked biscuit;
- Original Beyond Thickburger: 100 percent plant-based Beyond Burger patty with American cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, dill pickles, ketchup, mustard and mayo on a toasted premium bun.
In late 2018, Carl’s Jr. partnered with Beyond Meat to become one of the first major US quick-service restaurants to offer a plant-based burger patty. Hardee’s also became one of the first quick-service restaurants to test all-day Beyond Meat offerings for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
“After a successful year with Carl’s Jr. and an initial test with Hardee’s, we’re thrilled to further expand the partnerships across the US and have both brands be among the first to offer Beyond Meat at all times of day,” said Ethan Brown, CEO and founder at Beyond Meat. “The new Beyond Breakfast Sausage is a game changer as it delivers the delicious quick serve breakfast experience that so many of us love and rely on, with the added nutritional and environmental benefits of plant-based meat.”
The new menu additions are available at Carl’s Jr. starting Dec. 18, and at Hardee’s starting Dec. 30.