ATLANTA – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced on Nov. 1 that one person died and eight others were hospitalized following an outbreak of Salmonella Dublin infections linked to ground beef.
The agency said a common supplier of ground beef was not identified yet, but it received 10 reported cases across six states. Cases have been reported in California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.
“Illnesses in this outbreak are more severe than expected for Salmonella,” CDC stated in its alert. “Illnesses might not yet be reported due to the time it takes between when someone becomes ill and when the illness is reported. This takes an average of two to four weeks.”
An investigation is ongoing for the CDC and the agency will update the public as more information becomes available.
The full release from the CDC is available here.
The health organization advised that ground beef should have an internal temperature of 160° Fahrenheit when the product is consumed at restaurants or at home.
“CDC is not advising that consumers stop eating thoroughly cooked ground beef, or that retailers stop selling ground beef,” the agency said.