WASHINGTON – The US Dept. of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced a Class I recall of 662,049 lbs. of meat and poultry products from Beebe, Arkansas-based MIH Marketing and Sales citing that the products were stored under unsanitary conditions.
During routine food defense surveillance, the FSIS Office of Investigation, Enforcement and Audits (OIEA) discovered the issue. An investigator found that the product was being stored under unsanitary conditions, which included the presence of rodents in the storage areas of the property. FSIS seized all remaining product. Further testing of the product was positive for alkaline phosphatase, which points toward the possibility of fecal matter.
No illnesses have been connected with these products to date.
Products being recalled include raw chicken breast fillet, chicken thigh, chicken drum, chicken wing, and chicken tender items that were produced by various federal establishments and sold at 17 retail stores located in Arkansas between April 10, 2016, and Sept. 10, 2016. These products were in clear packages weighting approximately 5 lbs. each.
Products were sold at the following locations:
- Edwards Food Giant #19 Forrest City, Arkansas;
- Edwards Cash Saver #3473 Little Rock, Arkansas;
- Edwards Food Giant #37 Marianna, Arkansas;
- Edwards Good Giant #3474 Little Rock, Arkansas;
- Edwards Food Giant #1710 Harrisburg, Arkansas;
- Edwards Food Giant #3475 Little Rock, Arkansas;
- Edwards Food Giant #3444 Bryant, Arkansas;
- Edwards Cash Saver #3476; Edwards Cash Saver #3442 and Edwards Food Giant #3477; Knight’s Super Foods, Beebe Arkansas;
- Knight’s Super Foods, Babot, Arkansas.
FSIS also reports that various retail meat and poultry products sold at Chicken City Retail stores are being recalled. These products are in clear retail bags with a sales sticker that include the sell-by date between Oct. 30, 2016 and March 19, 2017. The Chicken City Retail Stores that are recalling all meat and poultry products are located in the Arkansas cities of Whitehall, Jonesboro, Conway, Searcy, Marion, North Little Rock and Brinkley.