Swearengen, incidentally, is a personal fitness trainer. Here are his 10 reasons to eat bacon any time of the day:
1. It stops food cravings. Its high saturated fat content fills you up faster than high carbohydrate foods.
2. Bacon raises high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. HDL, or “good” cholesterol, is one of the most important markers for heart disease.
3. It’s low in carbs. Carbohydrates — not saturated fat — will make you fat.
4. It contains a significant amount of protein — and high-quality protein at that. While bacon may not contain as much protein as a cut of steak, a few slices provide a decent amount of protein.
5. Bacon is a great source of selenium. This is a nutrient that's a key component of a healthy thyroid gland.
6. It’s chock-full of phosphorus. Phosphorus is a basic building block of DNA, as well as ATP, the energy molecule that makes muscle movement possible.
7. It’s a potent packer of the B vitamin Niacin.
8. It contains choline. Choline has been hyped recently for being one of the most important vitamins for brain health.
9. It’s versatile. Bacon is a go-to for breakfast — but more and more bacon is being added to all kinds of dishes.
10. Bacon is so very delicious.