HUNGARY – A deadly anthrax infection was identified in beef in Heves county in eastern Hungary, reports Reuters. One person displaying symptoms is receiving medical treatment, the veterinary authority NEBIH said in a statement on July 7.
This discovery was identified in a cow that was slaughtered at a resident’s property. Anthrax was also identified last week in frozen beef in a different part of Hungary after two head of cattle were slaughtered illegally on a farm.
The cases are not related, NEBIH relayed. Animals are infected via feedstock, such as by grazing in contaminated fields, authorities stated. After floods or during longer periods of drought when wells become contaminated, the anthrax bacteria can spread, they concluded.
|Enhance your industry IQ
Sign up for our free newsletters to stay informed on each day’s news and trends