Two fire crews arrived to tackle the blaze, but firefighters were unable to control it. Residents living near the plant were evacuated from their homes, and homeowners in neighboring areas were warned not to open their windows or doors to avoid inhaling toxic fumes, chiefly ammonia, according to news reports.
Public safety officials also closed a highway due to poor visibility after thick black smoke seemed to cause a traffic accident that left four individuals injured, local news reports stated.
Madrid, Spain-based Campofrio is regarded as Europe’s largest processed meats company. The company produces cured hams, hot dogs and packaged pizzas, and has 25 plants in eight countries throughout Europe and in the US.