Facebook Messenger 'bot' delivers pork recipes to consumers
Oct. 11, 2016
by Kimberlie Clyma
The National Pork Board’s new Facebook Messenger bot is intended to connect consumers to pork recipes.
DES MOINES, Iowa – The National Pork Board’s new “Pork Be inspired” bot will provide pork recipes to pork-loving social media users at the touch of a button or click of a mouse. NPB is hoping its new Facebook Messenger bot will help consumers choose to enjoy pork recipes at all occasions throughout the year, not just on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
To interact with the bot, users go to the Pork Be inspired Facebook page, open Facebook Messenger, and say, “hi.” The bot then responds and asks the user questions to help find the best recipe to suit each user’s tastes and needs.
“Creating a bot is a new way for us to connect pork’s flavor, creative meal possibilities and great value with those wanting to make the most of every moment this season,” said Pamela Johnson, director, Consumer Communications, the National Pork Board. “We’re not only talking about special dinners or big parties. We also mean simple, weekday slices of our busy lives where tasty pork can play a part in helping us to appreciate the every day.”
In addition to the recipe seeking bot, visitors to the Facebook page can view “Make it a Moment” videos from YouTube’s “The Nive Nulls” as well as posts from other online bloggers such as Marla Meridith and Bobby Parrish of “Flav City.” There will also be chances to view Facebook Live recipe demonstrations.
Visitors to the Pork Be inspired website, www.PorkBeinspired.com, can win prizes by sharing photos of their families’ eating pork-based dishes.
Some of the new pork recipes that will be shared by the bot include:
• Stuffed Pork Meatballs with Romesco – An appetizer featuring tender meatballs, made with ground pork, bread crumbs and savory spices, and topped with the nut-and-red pepper-based Spanish sauce.
• Pork Sliders with Bacon-Onion Jam – Pork tenderloin sliders complete with homemade bacon jam.
• Pork with Chiles and Lime – A stew-like, comfort dish made with tender pork shoulder, spicy jalapeños and fresh lime and served up with warm tortillas.
• Pork Chops with Spicy Turmeric Sauce – Bone-in ribeye pork chops with a creamy, spicy and slightly sweet sauce.
• Pork Milanese with Cacio e Pepe Spaghetti – Classic Italian cheese-and-pepper pasta made with breaded and simply seasoned New York pork chops.
• Sweet Potato Tart with Candied Bacon and Caramel Sauce – A rich dessert with candied bacon, caramel, a buttery crust and a smooth and spicy sweet potato filling.