WASHINGTON – United States and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs for June 2013 was 79.6 million head a slight increase from June 2012, and up 2 percent from June 2011, according to the US Department of Agriculture's National Agricultural Statistics Service.

The breeding inventory was up slightly from a year ago at 7.10 million head, and up 1 percent from 2011. Market hog inventory totaled 72.5 million head, a slight increase from last year and up 2 percent from 2011, NASS reported. The semi-annual pig crop increased slightly to 73.1 million head, and gained 3 percent from 2011. Sows farrowing during this period declined 1 percent to 7.08 million head and were down 1 percent from 2011, according to NASS.

US inventory of all hogs and pigs on June 1, 2013 was 66.6 million head, a slight decline from June 1, 2012 but an increase of 2 percent from March 1, 2013. The breeding inventory was slightly higher at 5.88 million head. This represents an increase of 1 from the previous quarter, according to NASS. Market hog inventory, at 60.8 million head, declined slightly from last year, but gained 2 percent from last quarter. The March-May 2013 pig crop, at 30.1 million head, was up slightly from 2012 and up 3 percent from 2011. Sows farrowed during this period declined 2 percent to 2.92 million head. However this was a slight gain from 2011, according to NASS.

Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs on July 1, 2013 climbed 1 percent to 12.9 million head. This was up 2 percent from July 1, 2011. The breeding inventory, at 1.22 million head, was up slightly from a year ago and up 1 percent from 2011, NASS reported. Market hog inventory, at 11.7 million head, gained 1 percent from last year and rose 2 percent from 2011. The semi-annual pig crop declined 2 percent from 2012 to 13.9 million head and was down 1 percent from 2011. Sows farrowing during this period fell 4 percent from last year to 1.28 million head, and declined 6 percent from 2011, according to NASS.