Turkey, red meat stocks up in August

by Meat&Poultry Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — Turkey and red meat stocks on Aug. 31, 2012, were higher than year-earlier levels, but egg stocks were lower, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) said in its latest Cold Storage report.

Frozen turkey stocks totaled 554,869,000 lbs., up 1 percent from July and up 5 percent from August 2011, the USDA said. Total chicken stocks were 655,272,000 lbs., up 1 percent from July but down 6 percent from August 2011. Total frozen poultry stocks were 1,213,415,000 lbs., up 1 percent from July but down 1 percent from August 2011.

Frozen red meat supplies totaled 1,039,363,000 lbs., up slightly from 1,039,092,000 lbs. in July and up 16 percent from August 2011. Frozen pork stocks were 580,783,000 lbs., up 6 percent from July and up 31 percent from August 2011. Beef stocks in freezers totaled 429,785,000 lbs., down 7 percent from July but up slightly from 428,633,000 lbs. in August 2011.

Total frozen egg stocks on Aug. 31 were 36,010,000 lbs., down 7 percent from July but up 16 percent from August 2011. Stocks of egg whites were 4,785,000 lbs., up 42 percent from July and up 28 percent from August 2011. Frozen egg yolk stocks were 2,444,000 lbs., down 4 percent from July but up 88 percent from August 2011. Whole and mixed egg stocks were 9,531,000 lbs., down 20 percent from July but up 15 percent from August 2011. Unclassified egg stocks were 19,250,000 lbs., down 7 percent from July but up 9 percent from August 2011.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.

 

 


The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.