US, Canadian hog inventory up 1%

by Meat&Poultry Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON – For the month of December 2011, US and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs totaled 78.0 million head — up 1 percent from December 2010 and up 2 percent from December 2009, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service, Agricultural Statistics Board, US Department of Agriculture. The breeding inventory, which totaled 7.11 million head, was a little higher from last year as well as up slightly from last quarter.

Totaling 70.8 million head, market hog inventory increased 2 percent from last year, but it slipped 1 percent from the last quarter. Amounting to 36.4 million head, the pig crop increased 2 percent from 2010 and 3 percent from 2009. During this period, sows farrowed totaled 3.61 million head, up 1 percent from last year — but down 1 percent from 2009.

On Dec. 1, US inventory of all hogs and pigs totaled 65.9 million head — an increase of 2 percent from Dec. 1, 2010, but a decrease of 1 percent from Sept. 1, 2011. Meanwhile, the breeding inventory, totaling 5.80 million head, was up slightly from last year, but down slightly from last quarter.

Totaling 60.1 million head, market-hog inventory increased 2 percent from last year, but slipped 1 percent from last quarter. The pig crop, totaling 29.0 million head, increased 2 percent from 2010 and 3 percent from 2009. Sows farrowed during this period reached 2.89 million head, up slightly from 2010, but down 1 percent from 2009.

On Jan. 1, 2012, Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs on was 12.0 million head, up 1 percent from Jan. 1, 2011, and 2 percent from Jan. 1, 2010. Totaling 1.31 million head, the breeding inventory was unchanged from last year and up slightly from last quarter. Market-hog inventory, totaling 10.7 million head, increased 1 percent from last year and was up slightly from last quarter.

Totaling 7.4 million head, the pig crop increased 4 percent from 2011 and was up 3 percent from 2010. During this period, sows farrowed totaled 720,000 head, up 1 percent from 2011 — but a decrease from 2010 of 1 percent.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.

 

 


The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.