US, Canadian hog inventory rises 1 percent

by Meat&Poultry Staff
Share This:
WASHINGTON – The United States and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs for September totaled 78.6 million head, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service, Agricultural Statistics Board, US Department of Agriculture. This was up 1 percent from September 2010, but down slightly from September 2009.

Totaling 7.11 million head, the breeding inventory, was up 1 percent from last year and up slightly from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 71.5 million head, was up 1 percent from last year and up 3 percent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 36.3 million head, was up 1 percent from 2010 and up 1 percent from 2009. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 3.60 million head, down 2 percent from last year and down 3 percent from 2009.

On Sept. 1, US inventory of all hogs and pigs totaled 66.6 million head. This was up 1 percent from Sept. 1, 2010 but down slightly from Sept. 1, 2009. The breeding inventory, at 5.81 million head, was up 1 percent from last year and up slightly from last quarter.

Totaling 60.8 million head, the market hog inventory was up 1 percent from last year, and up 3 percent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 29.1 million head, was up 1 percent from 2010 and up 1 percent from 2009. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 2.90 million head, down 1 percent from 2010 and down 2 percent from 2009.

On Oct. 1, Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs totaled 12.0 million head. This was up 1 percent from Oct. 1, 2010 and up slightly from Oct. 1, 2009. Totaling 1.31 million head, the breeding inventory was up slightly from last year and up 1 percent from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 10.7 million head, was up 1 percent from last year and last quarter. The pig crop, at 7.2 million head, was up 1 percent from 2010 but down 2 percent from 2009.

Sows farrowed during this period totaled 699,000 head, down 2 percent from last year and down 5 percent from 2009.
Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.

 

 


The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.