August US ready-to-cook poultry weight advances

by Meat&Poultry Staff
Share This:
WASHINGTON – During August, US poultry certified wholesome (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.84 billion lbs., up 3 percent from the amount certified in August 2010, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service, Agricultural Statistics Board, US Department of Agriculture. The July revised certified total at 3.52 billion lbs., was down 2 percent from July 2010. The July revision represented an increase of 0.71 million lbs. from last month's preliminary pounds certified.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during August was 5.09 billion lbs., up 2 percent from 4.97 billion lbs. a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.37 billion lbs., up 2 percent from August 2010. Totaling 76.4 million lbs., mature chickens were up 2 percent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 630 million lbs., up 4 percent from a year ago.

Ducks totaled 14.3 million lbs., up 3 percent from last year.

During August, young chickens slaughtered averaged 5.77 lbs. per bird, up 4 percent from August 2010. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.81 lbs. per bird, down 2 percent from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during August averaged 28.5 lbs. per bird, up 2 percent from August 2010.

Ante-mortem condemnations during August totaled 12.2 million lbs. Condemnations were 0.24 percent of the live weight inspected, as compared with 0.29 percent a year earlier. Post-mortem condemnations, at 35.0 million lbs., were 0.90 percent of quantities inspected, as compared with 0.90 percent a year earlier.
Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.



The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.