August R.T.C. poultry weight down 3%

by Bryan Salvage
Share This:

WASHINGTON — For the month of August, poultry certified wholesome (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.52 billion lbs., down 3% from the amount certified in August 2008, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics Service.

Totaling 3.64 billion lbs., the July 2009 revised certified total was down 5% from July 2008. The July revision represented an increase of 5.63 million lbs. from last month's preliminary pounds certified.

During August, the preliminary total live weight of poultry inspected was 4.70 billion lbs., down 4% from 4.87 billion lbs. in August 2008. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.03 billion lbs., down 3% from August 2008. Totaling 70.7 million lbs., mature chickens were down 7% from the same month the previous year.

Turkey inspections totaled 579 million lbs., down 9% from a year ago. Ducks totaled 12.3 million lbs., down 2% from August last year.

For the month of August, young chickens slaughtered averaged 5.56 lbs. per bird, down slightly from August 2008. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.78 lbs. per bird, down 2% from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during August 2009 averaged 28.2 lbs. per bird, up slightly from August 2008.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.



The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.