McDonald's catches spirit of FIFA World Cup
June 10, 2014
by Meat&Poultry Staff
BUENOS AIRES – Spectators at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil can cheer for their favorite team while munching on a special McDonald's team sandwich.
More than 800 McDonald's locations across Brazil will be serving the team sandwiches, which were developed in honor of the World Cup soccer tournament. Each sandwich will be offered on a specific day of the week. Sandwiches were created in honor of Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United States.
“As the official restaurant of the FIFA World Cup 2014, we wanted to do something special and bring the spirit of the World Cup to our menu,” said Woods Staton, CEO and president of Arcos Dorados, McDonald’s largest franchisee, which owns McDonald’s locations in Brazil. “These special team sandwiches, which celebrate the culinary traditions of their countries, allow us to bring the international flavor of the FIFA World Cup tournament to our loyal and soccer-loving customers in Brazil.”
The team sandwiches are:
• Sunday – McBrazil: Angus beef, mayonnaise, special Brazilian vinaigrette, lettuce, and emmental cheese.
• Monday – McSpain: Crispy chicken with olive oil mayonnaise, bacon spicy cheese, tomato and lettuce.
• Tuesday – McGermany: Rib meat with German mustard sauce, red onion, pickles, and bacon spicy cheese.
• Wednesday – McFrance: Crispy chicken, melted cream cheese, grated parmesan cheese, lettuce, tomato and emmental cheese.
• Thursday – McItaly: Polpettone meat, with tomato sauce, grated parmesan cheese and pepperoni.
• Friday – McArgentina: Angus beef with chimichurri mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, bacon and cheddar.
• Saturday – McUSA: Angus beef with barbecue sauce, crispy onions, pickles, lettuce, bacon and cheddar cheese.
Arcos Dorados reported the McArgentina leads fan voting in Brazil with the McUSA in the runner-up spot. The team sandwiches will be available in Brazil until June 25.