KFC Australia to pay damages for food poisoning

by Meat&Poultry Staff
Share This:

NEW SOUTH WALES, Australia – The family of a girl who suffered brain-damaged after eating a chicken wrap at a KFC restaurant in Villawood, New South Wales (west of Sydney) was awarded $8.35 million (AUS$8 million) by an Australian court, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

After sharing a chicken wrap they purchased at a Sydney KFC in 2005, Monika Samaan, age 7 at the time of the incident, and her family suffered from Salmonella poisoning. The girls’ parents and brother reportedly suffered from vomiting and diarrhea, but made a full recovery. Monika, however, spent months in a coma and is now confined to a wheel chair and unable to speak.

In a statement posted on its website, KFC said it plans to appeal the case.

“This is clearly a very tragic case but we are deeply disappointed and surprised by the judge’s decision,” said Sally Glover, KFC Australia’s chief corporate affairs officer. ”We feel deeply for Monika and the Samaan family; however we also have a responsibility to defend KFC’s reputation as a provider of safe, high-quality food.”

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.

 

 


The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.