Bunge's Meats recalls pork sausage
Sept. 19, 2016
by MEAT+POULTRY Staff
WASHINGTON – The US Dept. of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced the recall of an undetermined amount of pork sausage products from Catawissa, Pennsylvania-based Bunge’s Meats that were produced with water that did not meet the Environmental Protection Agency’s drinking water standards. The pork items were produced by the company between Feb. 24 and Sept. 15 and shipped to restaurants in Pennsylvania.
On Sept. 15, during a routine Food Safety Assessment (FSA) by an Enforcement, Investigations and Analysis Officer (EIAO) it was determined that water samples collected at the establishment on Feb. 24 and Sept. 9 were positive for Coliform bacteria. The water is used as an ingredient in the pork sausage.
There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions from consumption of the products.
In addition, FSIS announced the recall of 915 lbs. of beef tamale products from Tuscon, Arizona-based Tucson Tamale Wholesale Company, LLC, and 82 lbs. of various sausage, beef and lamb products from Colville, Washington-based Gallo Meats LLC that contained meat produced without the benefit of federal inspection. A USDA mark of inspection was applied to the Gallo Meats products.
At Tuscon Tamale Wholesale Co. the following products were recalled:
• Bulk boxes containing 10- or 11-oz. packages of two “Tucson Tamale Red Chile Beef Tamales,” with packaging dates of 8/11/2016, 8/15/2016, 8/22/2016, 8/31/2016 and 9/13/2016, and with case and package codes 2016224, 2016228, 2016235, 2016244 and 2016257.
• Bulk boxes containing 10- or 11-oz. packages of two “Tucson Tamale Chipotle Beef Tamales,” with packaging dates of 8/16/2016, 9/1/2016 and 9/2/2016, and with case and package codes 2016229, 2016245 and 2016246.
• Bulk boxes containing 10- or 11-oz. packages of two “Tucson Tamale Chipotle Beef & Cheese Tamales,” with packaging dates of 8/16/2016, 8/25/2016, 8/29/2016 and 9/2/2016, and with case and package codes 2016229, 2016238, 2016242 and 2016246.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. M45860” inside the USDA mark of inspection. The products were distributed to the company’s restaurants in Arizona and then sold to consumers in the restaurants, in “to-go” containers or in the original packaging.
The Gallo Meats’ Italian sausage, beef and lamb items were produced on various dates between April 20 and July 27. These products, bearing establishment number “EST. 09334” inside the USDA mark, are the products subject to recall:
• 12-16 oz. cryovac packages of “HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE” with a pack date of 04-20-16.
• 12-16 oz. cryovac packages of “GROUND LAMB” with a pack date of 06-07-16.
• 12-16 oz. cryovac packages of “BEEF FLANK STEAK” with a pack date of 07-22-16 or 07-27-16.
The items were sold to consumers in Washington state.
There have been no confirmed reports of illnesses due to the consumption of the products from either Tucson Tamale Wholesale Co. or Gallo Meats.