Undeclared allergens prompt meat products recall
Dec. 29, 2014
by Erica Shaffer
|A recall of products by Adams Flavors, Food & Ingredients affected at least three other Texas companies.
WASHINGTON – A recall by an ingredient manufacturer led to three Texas firms recalling various meat products.
J&B Sausage Co., Waelder, Texas, launched a recall of 45,904 lbs. of chicken and beef products because of undeclared allergens and misbranding, the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) reported.
The problem was discovered following a recall for Adams Flavors, Food & Ingredients, Gonzales, Texas, announced by the Food and Drug Administration. The recall was for undeclared peanut protein in cumin products, which is directly related to the J&B Sausage recall, FSIS said. Adams said a third-party supplier notified the company that one of the spice ingredients contained peanut proteins that were not declared on the product label.
There have been no reports of adverse reactions related to the J&B products, FSIS noted.
The products subject to the recall include:
• 5-lb. packages of fully cooked “Chefs-In-A-Bag CHICKEN TACO FILLING.”
• 1-lb. packages of HEB “FULLY COOKED Texas Style BEEF CHILI No Beans.”
• 1-lb. packages of HEB “FULLY COOKED Taqueria Style PICADILLO Seasoned Ground Beef with Potatoes, Onion, Tomatoes and Peppers.”
• 1-lb. packages of HEB “FULLY COOKED CARNE GUISADA Seasoned Beef in Gravy.”
FSIS said the products were produced on various dates between Aug. 25 and Dec. 15 and bear the establishment number “EST. 7066 or P-7066” inside the USDA mark of inspection. The items were shipped to the Garland Independent School District in Texas and HEB grocery stores.
|HEB brand Fully Cooked Taqueria Style Picadillo was among several products impacted by a recall.
The HEB Meat Center recalled more than 83,000 lbs. of pork products. The company said the spice blend is added to only random-weight, tray-packed HEB brand chorizo and Cryovac packed Pork Al Pastor. The retailer said all items subject to the recall have been removed from store shelves. Affected products include:
• HEB Bulk Tray Pack Chorizo - Random Weight Sell By 11/4/2014 through Sell By 12/28/14
• HEB Retail Tray Pack Chorizo - Random Weight Sell By 10/25/2014 through 1/4/2015
• HEB Cryovac Pork Al Pastor - Random Weight Sell By 10/31/2014 through 1/9/2015
“HEB is committed to the highest standards of food safety for our customers,” said Winell Herron, group vice president of Public Affairs and Diversity. “We take every precaution necessary to ensure the integrity and quality of the products sold in our stores.”
Another company affected by the Adams recall is San Antonio, Texas-based Garcia Foods Inc. The company recalled more than 190,000 lbs. of pork. Affected products include 12-oz. vacuum-packed, raw pork sausage link pieces of "HILL COUNTRY FARE CHORIZO" and 8-oz. vacuum-packed, raw pork sausage chubs of "HILL COUNTRY FARE CHORIZO."