Businessman in Puerto Rico confesses to selling unsafe food

by Meat&Poultry Staff
Share This:
Search for similar articles by keyword: [Food Safety]
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — A Puerto Rico businessman has pleaded guilty to selling thousands of pounds of putrid pork in that small US territory for more than a year, reports The Associated Press. Jose Suarez of Joshua Enterprises Inc. could face up to three years in prison after pleading guilty Sept. 10 to selling meat products unfit for human consumption, the US Attorney's Office said.

Suarez allegedly sold putrid pork products from April 2009 to October 2010 after buying nearly 53,000 lbs.  of pork shoulders knowing they had been exposed to warm temperatures, authorities charged. He agreed to destroy some remaining 12,000 lbs. of pork after the US Department of Agriculture sampled it and found it unfit for human consumption.No one became ill from eating the pork, officials said.
Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.

 

 


The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.