Second case of Anthrax discovered in Hungary

by Bryan Salvage
Share This:
Search for similar articles by keyword: [Food Safety]

HUNGARY – A deadly anthrax infection was identified in beef in Heves county in eastern Hungary, reports Reuters. One person displaying symptoms is receiving medical treatment, the veterinary authority NEBIH said in a statement on July 7.

This discovery was identified in a cow that was slaughtered at a resident’s property. Anthrax was also identified last week in frozen beef in a different part of Hungary after two head of cattle were slaughtered illegally on a farm.

The cases are not related, NEBIH relayed. Animals are infected via feedstock, such as by grazing in contaminated fields, authorities stated. After floods or during longer periods of drought when wells become contaminated, the anthrax bacteria can spread, they concluded.

Add a Comment
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.


READER COMMENTS (1)

By ivan e. ivanov 7/9/2014 8:51:40 AM
The spores of anthrax bacteria resist many many years in soil at the contaminated fields. The animals get this infection during the pasture season and must be vaccinated 30 days in advance. The other problem is well informed population about this danger. The third one is the state control on slaughtered practice in the rural area.