California catering firm recalls salads, wraps
WASHINGTON – Glass Onion Catering, recalled approximately 181,620 lbs. of ready-to-eat salads and sandwich wraps containing fully-cooked chicken and ham on concerns the products may be contaminated with E. coli
O157:H7, the US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service reported Nov. 10. The FSIS said 26 illnesses in three states were reported in connection with the products.
FSIS began monitoring the outbreak Oct. 29. On Nov. 6, the Food and Drug Administration notified FSIS that California public health authorities reported infected patients had eaten prepackaged salads with grilled chicken. FSIS said the patients were sick with "indistinguishable E. coli
O157:H7 PFGE (genetic fingerprint) patterns with illness onset dates ranging from Sept. 29, 2013 to Oct. 26, 2013". Fifteen infected people reported eating ready-to-eat pre-packaged salads before getting sick. A trace-back investigation led to Richmond, Calif.-based Glass Onion Catering as the supplier of the implicated products.
The wraps and salads were produced between Sept. 23 and Nov. 6, 2013 and shipped to distribution centers for resale in Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington, FSIS reported. The items bear the establishment number “P-34221” inside the USDA mark of inspection. The affected products include:
• 12 oz. packages of “delish pan pacific chop salad”
• 13.4 oz. packages of “delish California style grilled chicken salad”
• 9.9 oz. packages of “delish uncured applewood smoked ham & cheese wrap”
• 10.5 oz. packages of “delish grilled chicken Caesar wrap”
• 10.9 oz. packages of “delish southwestern chicken wrap”
• 11.5 oz. packages of “delish Greek brand low-calorie grilled chicken wrap”
• 9.9 oz. packages of “delish white chicken club wrap”
• 11.2 oz. packages of “delish Asian style chicken wrap”
• 13.4 oz. packages of “Atherton Fine Foods Southwestern Style White Chicken Wrap with Chimichurri Sauce”
• 10.5 oz. packages of “Atherton Fine Foods Asian Style White Chicken Wrap with Mango Vinaigrette”
• 9.9 oz. packages of “Atherton Fine Foods Grilled White Chicken Caesar Wrap with Caesar Dressing”
• 10.7 oz. packages of “super fresh Foods California Grilled Chicken Salad, Low Fat Mendocino Mustard Dressing”
• 10.7 oz. packages of “Lunch Spot Southwestern Style Chicken Wrap, Chile & Lime Dressing”
• 9.2 oz. packages of “super fresh Foods Pan Pacific Chopped Chicken Salad, Ginger Soy Dressing”
• 10.7 oz. plastic containers of “TRADER JOE’S Field Fresh Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken.”
• 11 oz. plastic containers of “TRADER JOSÉ’S MEXICALI SALAD with Chili Lime Chicken.”
FSIS said it is uncommon to find E. coli
O157:H7 in poultry products, however the agency is advising consumers to destroy products subject to the recall.
The affected products are being recalled in conjunction with other foods regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), according to FSIS. The Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), FDA, the California Department of Public Health, the Washington State Department of Health, and the Arizona Department of Health Services and FSIS are all investigating the outbreak.