OSHA cites Pilgrim's Pride for safety, health hazards
July 29, 2016
by MEAT+POULTRY Staff
Search for similar articles by keyword: [Labor
WASHINGTON – Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. received citations for 14 serious and eight other-than-serious health and safety violations.
An inspection of a Pilgrim’s plant in Live Oak, Florida revealed serious violations for:
- Failing to make timely medical referrals for workplace injuries.
- Not ensuring workers followed energy-control procedures to prevent unexpected machine start ups while cleaning equipment.
- Not ensuring portable ladders were used properly.
- Exposing employees to amputation hazards due to unguarded machine parts and equipment.
- Exposing workers to fall hazards up to 12 feet.
- Not ensuring employees use the proper hearing protection.
Other violations included not providing employee training on hazardous chemicals and failing to record that 16 workers suffered hearing loss in 2015.
The inspections fell under OSHA’s Regional Emphasis Programs for Poultry Processing Facilities which was developed to reduce injuries, illnesses and fatalities in poultry processing plants.