JBS fire causes extensive damage

by Erica Shaffer
Share This:
Search for similar articles by keyword: [JBS SA]
MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa – Roofing work that was completed earlier in the day on Jan. 24 caused a fire that severely damaged the roof of a JBS USA pork processing plant in Marshalltown, Iowa, the Marshalltown Fire Department said in a report.

Fire crews arrived on the scene shortly after 8 p.m. and found fire on the roof coming from a rooftop furnace.

“An aerial ladder was raised and the fire was attacked from above using the nozzle on the ladder,” the report said. “Due to the location of the heating unit and other fixtures on the roof, the aerial was only able to extinguish the fire on the east side of the heating unit. Fire crews stretched hose from the ground level up to the roof and extinguished the fire on the west and south sides of the heating unit.”

Fire crews spent another two hours removing portions of the damaged roof and extinguishing smoldering areas. No one was injured in the fire, but damage was estimated at $500,000.
Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.

 

 


The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.