Smithfield launches 'app' for its corporate report
SMITHFIELD, Va. – Smithfield Foods, Inc. has developed a new app called Smithfield DIGITAL that gives users access to additional digital content related to the company's 2013 Integrated Report.
Smithfield DIGITAL unlocks content in the report by scanning selected pages of the report via smartphone or tablet. Additional content includes links to videos, helpful audio and other interactive features. The app was launched in conjunction with Smithfield's 2013 Integrated Report, which details the company's annual financial results and highlights of core sustainability programs and performance. Smithfield received an "A" rating from the Global Reporting Initiative for fulfilling the requirements for sustainability reporting.
"We are always looking for ways to underscore our commitment to transparency and accountability, and achieving an A level from GRI for our reporting certainly demonstrates progress in this area," said Larry Pope, CEO. "However, what I'm most excited about is the release of Smithfield DIGITAL. We hope this app will broaden our reach to entirely new audiences while using amazing, innovative technology."
Highlights in the 2013 report include:
• Smithfield's companies topped meat industry national industry safety averages, and 54 percent of its locations beat national averages for all industries.
• Each Smithfield independent operating company introduced new packaging reduction projects.
• Smithfield reduced solid waste sent to landfills by 20 percent.
• More than 8.4 million servings of food were donated through Helping Hungry Homes.
• The company launched more than 100 new branded products, the most in Smithfield Foods history.
• As of Dec. 30, 2012, 38 percent of sows were in company-owned group housing systems.