Chemical flash-fire singes Curwood/Bemis worker

by Meat&Poultry Staff
Share This:
Search for similar articles by keyword: [Labor]

BATAVIA, Ill. – A Curwood/Bemis employee at a facility in Batavia, Ill., was slightly injured on the morning of July 1 due to a chemical flash fire. After the fire slightly singed his forearms, he received medical treatment, reports the Kane Country Chronicle.

Although local firefighters arrived at the scene at 11:12 a.m. and had the blaze under control within eight minutes, it caused an estimated $5,000 in damage to the building and its contents. The Batavia Fire Department reports the flash-fire began when an employee mixed flammable chemicals without proper grounding; a static-electricity charge may have sparked the blaze.

As a result, the ceiling of the flammable liquids storage room was singed, which caused a foam system to activate and flood the room with a fire suppressant foam preventing the fire from doing further damage.

Curwood/Bemis is a leading provider of value-added packaging and packaging machinery.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.



The views expressed in the comments section of Meat and Poultry News do not reflect those of Meat and Poultry News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.