Vienna Beef to buy Sara Lee hot dog plant
May 9, 2013
by Meat&Poultry Staff
CHICAGO – Vienna Beef Ltd. has signed a contract to buy a hot-dog facility once owned by Sara Lee Corp., according to local news reports.
Vienna Beef's meat plant is connected to its corporate offices and Vienna’s Factory Store and Café on Chicago’s North Side. The purchase of the Sara Lee plant could mean that Vienna, a North Side fixture since 1972, could re-locate its headquarters to the city's South Side in Bridgeport. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the Bridgeport facility covers 104,000 sq. ft.
The company processes a wide range of its flagship Vienna hot dogs and sausages, in addition to a line of premium deli meats, upscale soups and chili products. Vienna Beef began as a hot dog stand in 1893 run by Austrian-Hungarian immigrants Emil Reichel and Sam Ladany.