Smithfield reports on sustainability goals
by Meat&Poultry Staff
SMITHFIELD, Va. – Smithfield Foods, Inc. announced the company is making progress toward its sustainability goals.
"At Smithfield Foods, we believe that being transparent about our sustainability goals and achievements is absolutely critical to demonstrating that we are a responsible business" said Dennis Treacy, Smithfield's executive vice president and chief sustainability officer. "Posting our annual results—whether good or bad — shows our commitment to producing good food responsibly."
Among the company's recent achievements:
• Each independent operating company has introduced new packaging reduction projects;
• Normalized greenhouse gas emissions were down 11 percent since fiscal 2008;
• 100 percent of facilities dedicated to producing meat for human consumption were certified to the Global Food Safety Initiative;
• Contributions of more than $1.2 million were made to education programs that benefit Smithfield Foods' employees and their children; and
• 2012 was Smithfield's second most profitable year, topped only by 2011.
Smithfield launched an updated website that includes details about its sustainability programs.