Chicken centerpiece of new organic soup line
Sept. 13, 2011
by Meat&Poultry Staff
TUALATIN, Ore. – Organic chicken with no added hormones or antibiotics is the star ingredient for a new line of soups from Pacific Natural Foods. The natural foods processor is expanding its line of soups with five new chef-inspired flavors, made with simple, pure ingredients, the company relayed.
The soup is packaged in BPA-free Tetra Recart cartons ensuring a fresh, homemade taste compared to canned soup, according to a news release. Easy-to-open, the cartons are made with paper from sustainably managed forests and reduce carbon emissions due to their lightweight, volume-efficient package.
The new USDA-certified organic soups will come in five flavors:
- Organic Santa Fe Style Chicken featuring grilled chicken and vine-ripened tomatoes simmered with brown rice, black beans and a combination of spices, such as garlic and chili pepper.
- Organic Chicken Noodle made with Pacific's chicken broth, organic chicken, garden vegetables and egg noodles.
- Organic Chicken & Wild Rice begins with a blend of wild and brown rice before adding organic chicken, broth and a blend of parsley and other seasonings.
- Organic Chicken Spinach Penne, inspired by a traditional Italian recipe, features marinated chicken, fresh spinach and penne pasta simmered with garlic and black pepper.
- Organic Minestrone with Chicken Meatballs contains fresh vegetables and Italian seasonings over penne pasta and savory beans.
"Chicken soup is ultimate comfort food around the world,” said Tim Ramsey, vice president of sales and marketing. “We've put our own spin on a classic with regional favorites and organic chicken from our own backyard of Oregon."
The new chicken soups will arrive in grocery stores and natural food markets nationwide this fall with a suggested retail price of $3.49 - $3.69. Featuring a shelf-life of 24 months, the new flavors join the line of six vegetarian soups and chowders that launched in 2010.
Pacific Natural Foods offers a wide variety of all natural and organic food and beverages including soups, broths, non-dairy beverages, frozen pizzas, pot pies and ready-to-drink iced coffees, teas and mates. The company's products are sold throughout the US and Canada in mainstream grocery and natural food stores.