New rule involving E-Verify put on hold
January 12, 2009
by MEAT&POULTRY Staff
WASHINGTON — The effective date for a new Federal Acquisition Regulatory Secretariat rule requiring federal subcontractors to use the Department of Homeland Security’s E-Verify system to ensure employees’ eligibility to work, has been pushed back to Feb. 20, the American Meat Institute relayed. The rule was previously slated to go into effect Jan.15,
Solicitations occurring before Feb. 20 will not contain the clauses this rule imposes. An announcement of the suspension is expected to be published early this week in the Federal Register.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce said it will soon be filing a Motion for Summary Judgment in its lawsuit challenging the rule in the U.S. District Court. AMI has already said it is against this rule and submitted comments to the FAR Secretariat urging reconsideration last year.
To post your comments on this story, click here: firstname.lastname@example.org.